English embraces both the critical study of texts and the production of texts. We define texts broadly to include theater performances, films, and new media. The major fosters exploration, analysis, discussion, and understanding, and it encourages reading and writing as lifelong pursuits for any professional.
Studying literature doesn’t just mean encounters with Shakespeare and Austen and Frost. We are committed not only to British and American literature, but also to an ever-expanding horizon of inquiry, including African-American literature, Irish literature, and Caribbean literature, and to works in all genres.Learn more about literature
Students involved in theater at Lafayette cross boundaries that teach them about the stage but even more about themselves. Dedicated theater faculty and adventurous students are at the center of collaboration across disciplines that guarantees the very best liberal arts education anywhere—on stage or off.Learn more about theater
- Mar 12 Hatfield Lecture: Natasha Trethewey, Poet Laureate and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Mar 24 Workshop: Writing as a Spiritual Practice
- Mar 28 Comedy Writing Workshop with Writers John Warner and Teddy Wayne
- Mar 28 Smart Humor with Comedy Writers John Warner and Teddy Wayne
- Apr 1 English Majors Alumni Dinner Panel